I can’t believe I’m about to share my recipe for my all-time favourite protein smoothie. I’m sure you’ll love it!
Give it a try and tag my in your posts!
A protein smoothie bowl is really just an extra-thick protein smoothie that’s served in a bowl instead of a glass. Its base is typically a mixture of greens rich in vitamins and fiber, and fruit to add sweetness and Vitamin C. It is usually topped with more chopped fruit, nuts or seeds. By combining it with a protein source and healthy fats, you can create a balanced meal to enjoy at any time of the day. The liquid and fiber in a smoothie bowl can also help you feel full longer, which will also help your urge to snack between meals.
Looking to make your own? You’ll want to make sure you create the perfect consistency, and a balance of nutrients. Be careful not to go too crazy with the ingredients. The additional delicious decorations can add more calories and/or fat than the smoothie itself!
Here’s some tips on key ingredients that you can use to create your own delicious protein smoothie bowls.
- Greens (kale or spinach)
- Fruits (berries, bananas, papaya, kiwi)
- Protein (protein powder, cottage cheese, or nut butter)
- Healthy Fats (avocado, nuts or nut butter, seeds)
Here’s a healthy smoothie bowl recipe that I made for my boys and I that you can enjoy for breakfast or lunch.
- Big handful of chopped kale
- ¼ cup each of raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries (save some for the topping)
- 1/2 banana, peeled (save a couple slices for the topping)
- ½ cup pomegranate juice, not from concentrate
- ½ cup real carrot juice, not from concentrate
- 1 avocado (pitted, learn how to easily pit a avocado here: https://youtu.be/Rhsj0t08dJU)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 scoop powdered greens
- 1 scoop spirulina
- 1 scoop powdered wheat grass
Fresh fruit (saved from the base ingredients)
½ teaspoon of hemp seed
- Place all the base ingredients in a blender and mix until combined.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl, sprinkle with toppings and serve.
You can experiment with different fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds depending on the season to create smoothie bowls with a range of different and delicious flavours.
Makes 3 servings.
Per serving: 240 cals, 6 gms Prot, 32 gms Carbs, 11 gms Fat
Enjoy and stay fabu-LAUS!